Do you ever look at my blog and hope that I would update you guys more frequently on what we are doing here in Green River, Wyoming? You know, like day to day activities, or just something other than updates on Calvin? Well, fear not, this post is specifically for those who are wondering, "I wonder what is different in their lives now that they have moved.." or "I haven't heard anything about a church calling, are they even attending church anymore?" I am always excited to answer any questions that any of you guys have, so please, if you are wondering something, anything really....leave a comment or shoot me an email and I will answer it as honestly and truthfully as I can. Deal?!? Good....then let's get started!
Q: Has our lives changed at all since moving almost two months ago?
A: YES and no. Yes because we are hardly ever seen outside of the house. Occasionally on a weekend we will go get a geocache or drive around some uncharted area, but mostly, I would have to say that we are homebodies now. Don't get me wrong though, I love love love leaving the house and doing something fun, but there really isn't a whole lot of options around here. Plus, if I left the house during the day, chances are that I would wonder up to Rock Springs to go through some stores, which is just enouraging unnecessary spending, which at this point we are trying very very hard to watch every penny that is spent or else we wouldn't be able to have the joys of food, a house, internet, power, ect. :o) Our lives haven't really changed because we are still the cool cats....we love to have people over (although the only people who have come over to date to hang out are Jody and Cody, but we love every minute of it!!), we love to joke around, and play with our little love-bug Calvin.
Q: Do you like living in Green River?
A: I get this questions almost every time I meet someone new....funny that everyone asks, but still, it is a valid question, however I can really only speak for myself on this one. I assume Joel likes it because he never complains about it, but maybe we can get him to express his feeling about our life change sometime soon...but for me, here is the truth. I like living here for a few reasons....there isn't a lot of traffic, most people are pretty friendly, when I look out the window at night I can see all the stars, including shooting stars on occation. To drive to the grocery store it only takes one minute (literally). I live in a house that I "own".....I get the chance to become better friends with family members on Joel's side that I haven't before. The things I don't really like about living here is the fact that nothing is open past 11pm, so when those late night cravings come we can't go to Jack in the Box, Sharis or any place like that. The only two hamburger joints in town are McDonalds and Artic Circle...I haven't had an "instant friendship" with anyone yet...I have to try very very hard to make friends around here because most people that i have met are either a lot older than me, or major homebodies...they just don't want to leave and do anything fun. (although on a side note I did hang out with Becca yesterday and was very excited to feel like I fit in with a group of women....)
Q: Are you going anywhere for Christmas? What about Thanksgiving?
A: Nope. We are spending our first offical Christmas alone this year....although we really wont be alone at all. Joel's cousins, Josh and Becca, live in Rock Springs and have invited us over to spend some of the holiday with them since most of their family will be visiting. Calvin will get to meet his Great Grandma Strasser, and that is very very exciting to me! We have also been invited by our neighbor to join their family for Christmas Dinner...that will be nice. Because Joel doesn't have time off work and we don't have any money to travel, we are going to enjoy our first Christmas with just our little family. We are however going to Utah for Thanksgiving. My parents and brother/sister-in-law are driving down to Sandy and we are going to have a combined family Thanksgiving at my Grandparents House!!! I am SO EXCITED! Not only because I will get to see my family, but just to be around civilization...a target, costco, and traffic! YES!! We are also going to spend some time with one of Joel's old mission compainions who lives in SLC. It will be a blast!
Q: So are you inactive or do you just not talk about church?
A: HAHAHA! We actually just received calling in our ward (finally) and are very excited about them. Joel has been asked to serve as a sunday school teacher for the 12-13 year olds, and I have been asked to serve as the Primary Chorister. (if you have any fun ideas for the primary calling, please please please let me know....I am always in need of some good ideas!) We will offically start our assignments next week! Our ward is so small that they have the junior and senior primary together during the third hour, so I will have my hands full trying to teach the sunbeams a song while the valiant 12 kids get grumpy at me for making the song "too babyish". But, I am SUPER SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS CALLING!
Q: When will your adoption be finialize?
A: Hopefully (we are praying extra hard and could use your prayers too) that it will be finialized by the end of the year....if it is offical December 31st, I don't care, just as long as it is done by then I will be a very happy camper. If we can get everything finalized by the end of the year then we can claim our adoption costs on this year's taxes and we will be able to claim Calvin on our taxes using his social security number rather than trying to get him an identification number.
Q: What is next for your family?
A: We are currently working on our paperwork to start infant foster care in our home. We decided that we wont accept any child older than Calvin. I think our end goal with this is to adopt a baby through the state, although I am not really sure how frequently that happens here. Other than that, we are trying to get use to our new lifestyle and move forward in life!
Q: Has our lives changed at all since moving almost two months ago?
A: YES and no. Yes because we are hardly ever seen outside of the house. Occasionally on a weekend we will go get a geocache or drive around some uncharted area, but mostly, I would have to say that we are homebodies now. Don't get me wrong though, I love love love leaving the house and doing something fun, but there really isn't a whole lot of options around here. Plus, if I left the house during the day, chances are that I would wonder up to Rock Springs to go through some stores, which is just enouraging unnecessary spending, which at this point we are trying very very hard to watch every penny that is spent or else we wouldn't be able to have the joys of food, a house, internet, power, ect. :o) Our lives haven't really changed because we are still the cool cats....we love to have people over (although the only people who have come over to date to hang out are Jody and Cody, but we love every minute of it!!), we love to joke around, and play with our little love-bug Calvin.
Q: Do you like living in Green River?
A: I get this questions almost every time I meet someone new....funny that everyone asks, but still, it is a valid question, however I can really only speak for myself on this one. I assume Joel likes it because he never complains about it, but maybe we can get him to express his feeling about our life change sometime soon...but for me, here is the truth. I like living here for a few reasons....there isn't a lot of traffic, most people are pretty friendly, when I look out the window at night I can see all the stars, including shooting stars on occation. To drive to the grocery store it only takes one minute (literally). I live in a house that I "own".....I get the chance to become better friends with family members on Joel's side that I haven't before. The things I don't really like about living here is the fact that nothing is open past 11pm, so when those late night cravings come we can't go to Jack in the Box, Sharis or any place like that. The only two hamburger joints in town are McDonalds and Artic Circle...I haven't had an "instant friendship" with anyone yet...I have to try very very hard to make friends around here because most people that i have met are either a lot older than me, or major homebodies...they just don't want to leave and do anything fun. (although on a side note I did hang out with Becca yesterday and was very excited to feel like I fit in with a group of women....)
Q: Are you going anywhere for Christmas? What about Thanksgiving?
A: Nope. We are spending our first offical Christmas alone this year....although we really wont be alone at all. Joel's cousins, Josh and Becca, live in Rock Springs and have invited us over to spend some of the holiday with them since most of their family will be visiting. Calvin will get to meet his Great Grandma Strasser, and that is very very exciting to me! We have also been invited by our neighbor to join their family for Christmas Dinner...that will be nice. Because Joel doesn't have time off work and we don't have any money to travel, we are going to enjoy our first Christmas with just our little family. We are however going to Utah for Thanksgiving. My parents and brother/sister-in-law are driving down to Sandy and we are going to have a combined family Thanksgiving at my Grandparents House!!! I am SO EXCITED! Not only because I will get to see my family, but just to be around civilization...a target, costco, and traffic! YES!! We are also going to spend some time with one of Joel's old mission compainions who lives in SLC. It will be a blast!
Q: So are you inactive or do you just not talk about church?
A: HAHAHA! We actually just received calling in our ward (finally) and are very excited about them. Joel has been asked to serve as a sunday school teacher for the 12-13 year olds, and I have been asked to serve as the Primary Chorister. (if you have any fun ideas for the primary calling, please please please let me know....I am always in need of some good ideas!) We will offically start our assignments next week! Our ward is so small that they have the junior and senior primary together during the third hour, so I will have my hands full trying to teach the sunbeams a song while the valiant 12 kids get grumpy at me for making the song "too babyish". But, I am SUPER SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS CALLING!
Q: When will your adoption be finialize?
A: Hopefully (we are praying extra hard and could use your prayers too) that it will be finialized by the end of the year....if it is offical December 31st, I don't care, just as long as it is done by then I will be a very happy camper. If we can get everything finalized by the end of the year then we can claim our adoption costs on this year's taxes and we will be able to claim Calvin on our taxes using his social security number rather than trying to get him an identification number.
Q: What is next for your family?
A: We are currently working on our paperwork to start infant foster care in our home. We decided that we wont accept any child older than Calvin. I think our end goal with this is to adopt a baby through the state, although I am not really sure how frequently that happens here. Other than that, we are trying to get use to our new lifestyle and move forward in life!
2 comments:
Yay. Great to hear some updates but that's a bummer about the lack of easy friend-making in town. It'll get better, I bet. You guys are too fun for people not to start hunting you down and begging to be your buds! :o)
The Baugh's are friends from High School. They grew up in Murray.
Post a Comment