Sunday, August 9, 2009

Finding Balance in Life

I have been spending my free time lately reading a book titled, "Sisters in Zion" by Marilynne Todd Linford. One of the chapters talks about priorities and balance. She uses Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk from a general conference address in April of 1987. Reading this chapter brought up a lot of ideas that I am going to focus on in my life to try to establish better balance in my life. There are days when I feel like I have everything set pretty well, but others when it seems like my whole life is going crazy and nothing can seem to fix it. For this week, I am going to focus hard on setting new goals to help me achieve balance. I hope you will also join me and then come back and tell me how you did and what you were able to achieve. In his talk, Elder Ballard gave a few ideas and suggestions that we can use to get balanced:

*Set a regular time to think about your life and set your priorities. Write down daily tasks.

*Prayerfully set balanced and attainable goals, and work on them in order of importance.

*Make sure your financial life is in order, always remembering to pay a full tithing and avoid debt.

*Maintain balance by staying close to your spouse, children, relatives, and friends. Be gentle and loving in your communications with them.

*Strive to keep the Spirit of the Lord with you by studying the scriptures. Make studying the Book of Mormon a lifelong habit.

*Hold weekly family home evenings. Teach each other the gospel. Be careful not to drift out of this practice.

*Do I push "pause" on my busyness and take time to think, ponder, and meditate about my life and the direction of my future?

*Do I pray morning and night and throughout the day to keep focused on the things of God, asking for His Spirit to accompany me and be in my home?

*Do my actions show my familyi that they are always my first priority? Do I never leave home without family prayer? Are Monday night and family home evening synonymous?

From reading this chapter and reviewing this talk, I have a lot to work on, but I know that by slowly getting to where I want, I will find the balance I need to make my days run smoother, giving me overall satisfaction and balance.

So, will you join me in focusing on this as a goal this week? You should...that way we can create a good support group for one another and have a common goals to help each other with.

To read this talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard click HERE
Photobucket


2 comments:

Marnie Strasser said...

We just had a lesson about this in Young Women! I have been working on it too. Trying to spend more time doing the things I absolutely need to get done, like my homework. I've been able to get really far ahead because I made a list of priorities. One thing we talked about in our lesson was to make a list before you go to bed, in order of importance, of everything you have to accomplish the next day. In the morning after you are ready for the day, start with number one, then two, then three and so on until everything on your list is crossed off. It really does help to write it down, and gives you a sense of satisfaction when you cross things off your list! (:

Unknown said...

I will definitely join you doing this! :) Thanks I need this!