Thursday, December 11, 2008

Powdered Milk Tips...ANYONE?

We went through some of our food storage the other day and seperated some of the items that needed to be used soon verse those that have a few years of life left...one of our findings was a Large can of Powdered Milk. I was glad we came across this because we have, as of late, had to tighten our spending on everything...including milk and whatnot. So the other day we attempted to make our first batch of milk. We added it to half a gallon of regular milk, hoping it would make it taste more like regular milk. To the dis-taste of my tastebuds, it wasn't very good. I don't know if it is a taste that just has to be acquired or if it was our preparations. Anyone have any secrets to making it taste good? If so PLEASE HELP!!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Well...the only good powdered milk I have ever had, is the kind from church distribution. Other than that, it is all NASTY. i would suggest using it in all of your recipes. Mixing it with other stuff and cooking it seems to hide it pretty good. Good Luck!

btw...my tongue ran to the back of my mouth and hid at the mention of powdered milk!

Jennifer said...

We dilute it half and half with 2 percent and it doesn't taste bad at all, but I think it depends on the kind of powdered milk you are using. I also use it when I'm cooking. Whenever a recipe calls for milk, I measure in some dry powdered milk instead and use water. Makes some tastey waffles! :)

Jennifer said...

Oh man! Melissa posted as I was typing... She beat me to it!

S. Fantasia said...

We lived off of our powdered milk supply after the hurricane hit us and the type we had stored was surprisingly good. The bad thing about most powdered milk (including the church's) is that once you open it, you have to use it all or it will go bad. if you are trying to save money, that's something to consider because you may end up wasting a lot. You should try the Great Value brand from Walmart. They are individually packaged and pretty yummy, considering. It tasted JUST LIKE skim milk to me, which is what we drink anyway. Something you can try if you are planning on drinking most of it straight (as opposed to using it in recipes or cereals) is adding a little vanilla to it. You'll have to do it "to taste" because I am not sure how much it would take according to your taste buds.

Good luck. :o)

mattandwendy4ever said...

We do the same thing, we use powdered milk in place of milk in our recipes. It uses it, and it is not gross. I have a great waffle recipe that uses powdered milk.

Guh said...

whoa! where have I been?!

I grew up on powdered milk *my parents being the trifty people they are* (and having three older brothers). I got used to it just fine... Drink it super cold, maybe an ice cube or two...

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. So let me know how it goes!