About two months ago Joel and I started talking about taking a huge step in our lives and ending some of the pain and frustration that has been prevalent in my life for the last 10 years. We had finally started looking at the possibility of getting a hysterectomy and focusing our family growth through adoption. The idea gave me excitement and a new found joy for life. The thought of not having monthly pain, and being somewhat “normal” was so appealing!! After much pondering and prayer, I made an appointment with my doctor in
A week after setting the surgery date, my doctor called to talk about some of my blood tests that came back. I had to change my lifestyle to be healthier and live a low cholesterol, low fat diet with exercising daily. I knew that with a pending surgery approaching that I couldn’t make the change right then, so I made plans to begin this new lifestyle after I had recovered from the six weeks of pain and healing. My life was starting to be planned out and I was ready for the challenges that lay ahead of me. The only thing I seemed to worry about was what would happen after the surgery…how things would work out with the children, help, and not being around to take care of my babies. I wasn’t looking forward to living that experience, but I knew the Lord would help take care of things I would be able to heal and recover fine. On Sunday September 25th, only five days before my surgery, I started to have a lot of anxiety and a lot fear regarding the surgery and the outcome of it. I was getting cold feet and I didn’t know why. I had felt like it was pointless to worry because I knew that the Lord was giving me comfort throughout this discussion and because of that, I should have been fine. Monday was much of the same feelings. I broke down…I felt useless and as if my direction in life had changed for some reason. I asked Joel to give me a blessing with the priesthood power he holds that night. I was hoping for much needed comfort and guidance from my Father in Heaven. I knew I would get it. I had the faith needed to receive it. After the blessing I had comfort, but mostly I had a drive to pray with all my heart and strength to get the guidance I needed to help get me through this time.
Tuesday, September 27th, my life was changed forever. I spent the morning in ponder and prayer as I was playing with the little ones and attending to my daily duties. I was inspired by the Holy Spirit to double check the dates of my last cycle and to think about what that meant. Immediately following that prompting I went upstairs and started counting and calculating. I was on day 35. I was speechless…floored with the thought that I could possibly be pregnant merely days before I was scheduled for a hysterectomy. I kept that thought in my mind and continued about my daily tasks. No sooner did I start to clean and organize, when the Spirit spoke to me again telling me that I should take a pregnancy test. I knew that I was receiving revelation, and so I immediately got on the phone and called Joel. I let him know what was happening and told him as soon as he returned home from work that I would go purchase some tests. Honestly I was so excited!! I didn’t think that anything would come of the tests, but just taking them make me excited…it is something we have longed for, for nearly 6 years and the fact that we had still been fighting for a child of our own, we knew that the chances of doing so were very slim.
I went to the store…I came home…I peed on the stick. I couldn’t believe that I was doing that, I had obligations to attend to starting at 6 that night and this was putting a huge curveball in my attendance. Five minutes or so later, I went and looked at the stick. “Oh my gosh!” was what I exclaimed. The pregnancy test was POSITIVE…you have got to be kidding me. How could this happen? Joel thought I was tricking him, but after bring the stick and instructions down for his approval we were both struck with awe. I broke down and couldn’t believe that only three days until my surgery date we were pregnant. What a miracle this was. Joel and I were shocked, literally speechless because this moment in life was something we never thought would come to us. Late for my obligations, I headed out the door. Not wanting to tell anyone but at the same time wanting to yell it to the world. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do to keep this excitement bottled up. After an amazing evening with friends, I returned home, peed on another stick and sure enough PREGNANT!!! I was overwhelmed with joy. It was the greatest miracle I have ever experienced in my life. I was a walking miracle. Joel and I had were so excited! Things were still confusing, but we had to call and let a few people know so that they could alter their plans for the next coming week when they were going to be helping us with post-surgery plans. It was a joyous occasion for all of us. Tears or mercy and joy were shed across the country as one by one we notified our loved ones. That night I took another test, just to make sure…yes, that was 3 in one day! I couldn’t help but be so overjoyed every time I saw that plus sign show up! It was certainly a tender mercy from the Lord.
The next day I called the doctor to cancel the surgery and to set up an exam. We were so thrilled to be having this experience. It was truly a miracle. But, on the other end of things, we knew that we couldn’t get too excited. I was a very high risk pregnancy and although we were living a miracle, it didn’t mean we were going to be safe from the pain of losing this baby. We made the appointment for the following day and continued living a miracle and fantasy. It was just the most amazing feeling ever, knowing that inside my body a baby was growing. I was on cloud nine!
Thursday we headed down to
Everything was AMAZING until Thursday, November 5th rolled around. The day starting like any other day…I was excited, life was great and I had places to go and things to do. Occasionally throughout the day I felt a nice strong cramping in the small of my back. I wasn’t concerned much, and just tried to lie down and rest as often as possible. I put the kids down for a nap and I too was able to sleep for an hour or so. When I woke up from my nap, I felt worse than before. My energy was literally at zero and I was just trying to keep everything in order although I felt like sleeping for eternity. Things were fine. Everything just fine…but then later that night I noticed some mild spotting. I read that mild spotting is normal and shouldn’t be too alarming if it occurs. I called a friend just to double check. Her advice was to just take it easy, put my feet up and go to sleep. I took a quick shower and then laid down. Shortly after, mild cramping started to occur. I was now a bit more alarmed then before, but hoped for it to pass. I tried to sleep, but woke up to cramps that I knew were not normal. I asked Joel for a blessing and tried to calm myself down. After all, stress is not good for the baby. About an hour later I called my doctor. Explained what was happening and that I was concerned. He urged us to go to the ER and to get checked out, even though it might just be part of the endometriosis giving me pain. We called upon an amazing friend to be here with the children as we headed to the ER. It was just after midnight.
After checking in and getting a room at the ER I was devastated. I knew what was happening. I knew that we were losing the baby. I couldn’t believe it. How could such a miracle in our lives be taken from us just like that? I got hooked up to an IV, blood drawn, and morphine given. I was in so much pain, that even after the morphine I could still feel the cramping. Joel slept on the hard tile floor as we waited for the doctor to come do an ultrasound and exam. I was praying that this was just one of those times when a girl has her menstrual cycle during her pregnancy, but as soon as the ultrasound took place, we knew that there was not much hope for us. I was at an all time low…honestly, how could this be happening? As I was in that hospital bed, I kept thinking, there has to be a reason for this…the Lord’s work is amazing, and I know he is watching over me and that he is aware of the situation. Around 4am the doctor came and did the exam. I asked him if by doing the exam if he will know exactly what is going on. At that point he turned to me and said, “Well the pregnancy tests that we ran all came back negative. I am so sorry to tell you that.” I broke down…all hope I had at that very moment was lost, shattered and I was in complete and total shock. I couldn’t contain my tears, my sorrow and my frustration. Yet at the same time, I felt comforted. My thoughts kept returning to the blessing I had had earlier that night…the Lord loves you and he has a plan and purpose for you. But at times like this, it is hard to focus on the fact that for one reason or another, this was all part of the plan…the entire time. Taking a grasp on that was very hard to do. As soon as the exam was over, all I wanted to do was to go home…be where I felt at the most peace and comfort. We were about to be discharged when the doctor came in to offer his condolences. Man, just a week before we were basking in the joy of finding out we were pregnant…now our nightmares were prevalent and we were living the worst experience we have ever had to endure…or so we thought.
We came home and went to bed for a few hours before our two little love-bugs woke up for the day. I hurt, I was sick to my stomach, and I felt so empty.
Once I pulled myself together, I called my doctor to give him an update. He advised that I rest as much as possible and collect any tissue that may be being discharged as the miscarriage continued. What a sobering day. Around 9am I got a call from the doctor, he wanted to see me as soon as possible so that he can do an exam and possible D&C. We called some amazing friends who helped us out immensely. By the time we got the kids and their belongings together, we were on the road, it was now about 11am. I rode the 2.5 hour car ride to
We got to the doctor’s office and started the exam a little after 3pm. He talked to us about what was going to happen and the options we had. We were all shocked. After checking to make sure I wasn’t having a tubal pregnancy, we went over our options again. Those options were 1)go to the hospital and wait until we could get into the OR to do a D&C, 2)do the D&C right there in the office, with no pain meds, but it would be very quick and extremely painful or 3)let the miscarriage run it course and be in pain for possibly weeks. Talk about making one of the hardest choices ever! I didn’t want to let the miscarriage run its course. I wanted the pain to stop and this whole experience to be over. As much as I wanted to go to the hospital, I knew it would be a lot more expensive and that we wouldn’t get home that night…I didn’t want to be away from my love-bugs any longer than I had to. So together, Joel and I talked it over. I decided that I would take option number 2 and pull inspiration from Joseph Smith to make it through. I didn’t really have a choice, at least not in my mind. As the doctor prepped for the surgery, Joel consoled me as I sat on the table waiting for the inevitable. Joel told me later that night that he was so amazed at how strong I was at that moment…knowing that I was about to endure the most painful thing ever but having to get it done for the sake of my body. All I can remember thinking at that moment was “Lord give me strength.” The operation began, and they asked Joel to sit in the lobby. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be able to endure the pain, but it was the most excruciating thing I have EVER had to deal with in my entire life. I remember screaming, asking for strength from the Lord, and trying to breath. The procedure took only a matter of minutes, but it seemed like a lifetime. My word of advice to those who may be put in this situation in the future…screw fast, screw the price, get it done at the hospital. :o) As we were preparing to leave our doctor mentioned to us that the blood work was just baffling because a week earlier my pregnancy levels were very good, in the range of 160 or so, but when the results came back from the ER blood work, it was like the pregnancy never even happened. I will probably never forget this experience, and I just pray that I don’t have nightmares about it forever. The Lord did give me strength, and after all was said and done; we got in the car and headed home. The ride home was long, brutal, but I only threw up three times…which was nice. By the time we got into
Today, Saturday November 7th, as I sit here typing this experience I feel emptiness, I am sober, and I am very humble. I break down from time to time, but this will pass. As the Lord is my witness I too can testify that I know He has been with me through all of this. I know that we have been touched by the tender mercy of God and have been given an insight to what can be, sometime down the road. We may not ever know the entire purpose for this, but I have a new found hope to push forward, to fight a little longer, and endure a little harder. We know there is a purpose and a plan for us, and as long as we continue with faith and hope, the Lord will bless us beyond measure. How grateful I am to know that I have a Loving Heavenly Father and that the more I put at His feet, the more I will be lifted up. Come what may, the trials we live through only make us stronger and give us the visions that we need to make it through the next curve on our path to eternal life. Your prayers have been felt in our lives these last few days, and I am so grateful for you. Continue to pray for us as we overcome this heartache and pain. We can surly use them.
All my love,
Lila
7 comments:
Reading this made me so sick to my tummy. I am so SO sorry you had to go through this! I was loving reading your wonderful news at the beginning and am so devastated. I have been through miscarriage and am actually shocked that they did a D&C on you because you were not very far along. I was 13 weeks and did not need one and am so sorry you did - I've heard it's horrible. Also, that is weird that your HCG levels were already undetectable in the hospital but I want to suggest that perhaps that is one of those tender mercies of Heavenly Father. I say that because it usually takes a while for your HCG levels to re-adjust and while you wait it is necessary to keep taking pregnancy tests (which will initially result in a very depressing false positives) until the levels are finally low enough to say "negative". So horrible. You'll be in our prayers and please call me if you need to talk, cry or ANYTHING!!
Lila, what can I say. I want you to know I love you. I am here for you, I know you probably don't what to talk much more about it, but I am here for you, don't hesitate to call me anytime. Reading this just made me cry and your testimony truly touched me. Keep living one day at a time. My heart and prayers go out to you in this trial. All my love, Kimber
The first thing I said after I found out was 'i don't understand.' I still don't understand, but I do know that our trials are hand picked for us by ourselves and our Heavenly Father before we come to earth.
Aaron and I were talking one night about why we keep getting the exact same challenge over and over. What are we not learning? Why do we still need to go through this? We were explaining this to my Dad when he told us 'all these things shall give you experience'. It wasn't much comfort at the moment, but those words have stayed with me since.
You are in our hearts and our prayers. We love you and cherish you as one of those friends that are sent straight from our Heavenly Father. You are my Angel. Thank you for sharing all of your experiences with me, I know it's not always easy.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine the heartache you're going through right now. Davis and I have been (and will continue)praying for you guys.
sincerely,
Linda
I know how that feels. Why so many miracles to have them suddenly all stripped away? It was so perfect.
You're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm here if you need to talk.
Lila.. I'm so sorry.. It is so hard to go through a miscarriage I had two of them.. If you ever need to talk let me know.. I will be thinking and praying for you.. YOu are strong. We don't know why that happens but there is a reason behind it if only we could understand the reasons it would probably make us feel better.. Love ya girl and I hope that you are doing ok... Talk to you again soon...I lost your blog address again and I found it today...
Big ((HUGS)). I can't even imagine having to go through what you have been through. I admire you for posting your feelings and thoughts as I am sure you are very vulnerable at this time in your life. You are definitely a source of strength for many and a big example to me.
Post a Comment